Welcome to my natural hair!

The struggles and successes of my natural hair (journey)!

Monday 4 March 2013

How to get super kinky twists on natural hair

Hey guys!
Long time, long time!

I know I probably owe you like, a million posts based on what should have been a commitment to frequent blogging. I am very sorry to you all! I've had crazy things going on, some excellent, some not so excellent. BUT I'm here to share with you one trick to achieve a look that will leave most people thinking that you're wearing extensions.

Now, for those of you who don't believe that I (more or less) have type 3c hair, I do.
My hair is extremely thick. At this point (as shown above), my hair had so much thick new growth that I couldn't do a simple bun or anything like that. My scalp was also always really hot because it could hardly breathe. Had to take action.

So now that you know what I have to deal with.. you can take courage in knowing that it can be tamed (there is hope)!

So Step 1.
Wash. I used a shampoo called Silicon Keratin Shampoo. I stopped using silicon products because I thought they were bad for me, but after a lady in the shop told me that silicons are good for coating the hair and scalp with moisture after it has been stripped, I realised that there's been a link between my dry hair and scalp and my choice of shampoo. SO I chose this shampoo.. and it's probably the best I've ever used (seriously)! A little bit lathers up and washes up so well. I detangled section by section with a wide tooth comb when my hair was fully lathered, and then I rinsed out by gripping each section from the root and moving my grip down to the tip as the water runs over it (I try to minimise scratching my scalp - it just tangles my hair again).

Step 2.
Condition. I towel dry my hair by section (my method would probably require a step-by-step video)  and used Skala Keratin Conditioner (which is a leave in, but doesn't spell this out very clearly on the product bottle), and I plaited up my sections as I went along. Seems like Skala Keratin Conditioner foams up if your hair isn't dry when you apply it. But my goodness, it makes my hair feel slick! Love it.

So I slept with it like this, wore a puff the next day, and then started twisting that evening.

Step 3.
Twist. Took me ages, but yeah. I did it! And moisturised my hair with Elasta QP Olive Oil and Mango Butter. The smaller you do your twists, the longer they last and the better they curl (not too small though)!
Here's how it looked when I was finished:

Now HERE'S the trick:
Step 4. Moisturise & Plait.
I separated my hair into sections (about 13 twists per section - max) and used Skala Keratin Conditioner once again (I liked the consistency so I gathered it would be a good product for my hair to retain for nutrition and retaining kinks). Then I put on my satin scarf and went to BED. Took me AGES.
Here's how it looked when I woke up:

Step 5.
Unravel! And behold!
Great definition and shine.
I remember doing this style with extensions and hot water.. But it's so much more convenient this way (and cheaper too lol).

Hope this helped! Feel free to comment! 
Much love,
Rach x




No comments:

Post a Comment