Welcome to my natural hair!

The struggles and successes of my natural hair (journey)!

Wednesday 25 May 2011

Update On Home Made Products/Washing & Detangling Tips

I'm baaack!
:D
(Ignore the dot on my nose - it's my hair moisturiser. Quite convenient, lol.)

So to follow up from my previous post (literally a day before this one), I'm going to show you what I did to sort out those twisted tangled coils of mine. Just to let you guys know, all I did was put a du-rag over over the little style I had last night (pictures are in the previous post) and went to sleep. Although, I pinned down the loose hair at the top and front. The picture above is how it looked from the front after I woke up.
To my surprise, the style kept pretty well. It just looked more 'contained':

SO..
Like I said, I had some products to try out. But before we get to that, let me show you the little goodies I've put together!

Left: New and improved curly custard
Right: Whipped hair moisturiser

I've deliberately made my curly custard thicker, so that it holds definition better. I was very very pleased with my end result. As for the hair moisturiser, I've made it quite light because it's a daily moisturiser. If it were too heavy, it wouldn't be suitable for daily use. I really, really whipped it! It's a blend of avocado, aloe vera and mango extracts with added essential oils. Quite rich! I'll be selling some soon.

-SO-
As I previously mentioned, I was going to wash my hair today (which I did). The next part of this blog should be of help to you if you're wondering how to detangle nappy hair that has been left in mini twists for toooo long! (yes, yes.. I'm guilty..)

So here's how I started off.
Section hair off into 4 parts. The section left open is the section I began with:
(I started to separate the strands, as you can see. It's slightly poofed out on the bottom left. Eventually I just left it, there was no need.)

Here are the products I used:
(The bottom picture is the conditioner with added Olive Oil. I wanted to retain moisture after washing, so I added the oil to the Honey Extract Conditioner and left it in.)


Step 1: Dampen the hair with warm/hot water. I don't do this just to prepare my hair for the shampoo, I do it also to loosen the tight tangled coils. Loosely grasp random areas of the section from the roots, and run your hands downwards to assist the hot water in the 'loosening' process, like this:


Step 2: Apply shampoo. If you know your hair is really dirty, you'll be tempted to scratch your scalp vigorously in an attempt to lift up dead skin, dirt and grease. Try not to do this much. Remember, your hair may already be quite tangled, so strands may tangle even more from your chaotic scratching. Try to massage the scalp and repeat Step 1.


Step 3: Rinse out the shampoo (following the method described in Step 1) and apply conditioner. Now this is one of the most important parts; this is the part when you DETANGLE. This is the only time when I really comb/detangle my hair. When the hair is dry or left unconditioned, it is prone to breakage. It is important that after you apply your conditioner, you use a wide tooth comb to detangle your hair from the tips FIRST. To follow, work your way up to the roots.
Note: if you find areas of your hair which are knotted, do not just get frustrated and comb it out (because all you're really doing is ripping out the knot; thus ripping out your hair). Separate the knotted area and carefully detangle it. Use your hands/fingernails if you have to.

Step 4: Either rinse out the conditioner (same method as Step 1.. You've just detangled it, you don't want to REtangle it!) or leave it in if it's the type that permits you to do that. Make sure it's not a protein conditioner if you're going to leave it in. It can cause damage to your hair if left in. 




Once you've made your choice, it's really up to you whether you want to stretch it up by pineappling (stretching your hair into a bun at the top of your head), banding (see the previous post), twisting or plaiting. I try to avoid heat, so I don't really recommend blowdrying etc. I just plaited up my hair while it dries. I'll deal with styling, stretching etc after it's dried and moisturised.
So I ended up going from this:
To this:
Tangle free. :)

I hope this post helped! I'll update you on any post-worthy antics that I get up to. I'm thinking of trying out a Blaque Onyx inspired style (a puff with twisted out bangs) but we'll see how that goes.

Adieu!

No comments:

Post a Comment